Sunday, April 3, 2011

Unicorn Birthday Party

My daughter has been fascinated with unicorns for about six months now. Every night she would pray for 1.) a car that she can drive and 2.) a real unicorn pet. We had planned to throw a party for her a month before her birthday so she can celebrate it with her classmates (her birthday falls on a summer month). It was also her farewell Gymboree Party. So a unicorn birthday party for a unicorn-stricken daughter it was!


I went everywhere but I couldn't find anything unicorn themed anywhere! I decided that there must be something terribly wrong with this country! I was going to order stuff from the US but it was too late when I decided. So it was craft time for me again, good thing there were only 10 children in Tala's class.

So here's how her party turned out:

Invitations- I needed roughly 12 invitations and thought it would be a waste of time to go to a graphic designer and have it made so I did it myself. All I needed was Photoshop. I downloaded some coloring pages off the net, colored them, layed them out and viola! an 80's unicorn invite!




Thank you tags-I pretty much did the same thing with the give away tags.


Give aways- Since I couldn't find unicorn themed party favors, I though I'd stick with rainbows and stars (Tala, my daughter's name, mean's star in Filipino). Luckily I found star-shaped swim rings in the mall that had a bit of a rainbow design. I had to go to several shops to gather 12pcs, but it was all worth it. I was lucky to find Lisa Frank clips in little unicorn pouches for the girls!





paper plates- I got this idea from this site. I tweaked it just a little bit.

cupcakes & toppers-I ordered cupcakes and made the cupcake toppers myself. I had to print two of each image, stick them together with a tooth pick in between. The tricky part to this is one of the images has be a mirror image when printed since it will be stuck back to back.

I was surprised to see that it was a hit with the kids. They even fought over who got the purple cupcake with a castle or who got the yellow cupcake with the pink unicorn!

cake- My friend Chrissie of The Rolling Pig made Tala's super yummy birthday cake. She made the inside rainbow and made unicorn and rainbow cookies too! This is one of the best birthday cakes I've ever tried. Super moist! And it was real cheap too! thank you Chrissie my love!


unicorn horns- This was a bit time consuming to make. I drew on cut pieces of felt paper, covered it with glitter glue (made sure there were more glitters on the lines), dried it under the sun and rolled and stapled them into a horn. Then I stapled and taped the garters on the sides and tried each on Tala for size. I made blue for boys and pink for girls.


It was a success. 8o)

Happy Birthday to our little star!




2 comments:

  1. WOW! I wish more parents will have parties like this one. The cartoon character themed parties are getting a little boring already. Hehe. The cake looks awesome. Will try to bake one like that next week. Hopefully. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Antonette! I definitely agree with the cartoon themed party. I hope your cake went well! 8o)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a note! 8o)

Visit InfoServe for backgrounds or to create a website.
Visit InfoServe for backgrounds or to create a website.